Top these appetizer-sized croquettes with herbed sour cream — with or without an additional piece of cooked bacon as garnish — and serve on a platter at a buffet table or as passed canapes. Feel free to double the first five ingredients as you’ll have more of the breading ingredients than is needed for this number of croquettes.
- 2 cups (500 ml) Cavendish Farms Country Cut
- ½ cup (125 ml) shredded Havarti cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped, cooked bacon
- ½ tsp (2 ml) each salt and pepper
- ½ cup (125 ml) milk
- 1 cup (250 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups (750 ml) panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) butter (or vegetable oil)
- In pot of boiling water, add potatoes; reduce heat and simmer until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly.
- Place potatoes in potato ricer; press through and into bowl (there should be 2 cups). Add both cheeses, the bacon, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Working with 1/4 cup of the mixture per croquette, form each into a round, slightly flattened round shape. Repeat with remaining mixture to make 8 croquettes.
- Place milk in one small bowl, flour in another, beaten eggs in a third and panko in a fourth bowl. Dip each croquette into milk to coat; roll in flour, shaking off any excess. Dip into eggs to coat; roll in panko, pressing lightly to ensure entire surface is coated. Repeat with remaining croquettes.
- Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat; fry croquettes, turning once, until golden brown and crisp, 5 to 6 minutes.