Tender gnocchi in rich, rustic sauce is a comforting dinner classic — especially when enjoyed during colder weather months. Arrabbiata is a fiery tomato-based pasta sauce so be sure to add chili pepper flakes — either simmered in the sauce or made available for sprinkling at the table.
- 3 cups (750 mL) Cavendish Farms® Country Cut, prepped
- 1–1/4 cups (300 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) coarse kosher salt
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 lb (500 g) ground beef or ground pork
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 4 cups (1 L) prepared tomato-based pasta sauce
- ½ cup (125 mL) beef stock
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) prepared basil pesto
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- In large pot of boiling water, add potatoes; reduce heat and simmer until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly.
- Place potatoes in potato ricer; press through and into bowl (there should be 3 cups). Add 1 cup of the flour; mix well. Add egg yolk and salt; mix.
- Transfer mixture to well-floured work surface; with floured hands, knead just until dough comes together and forms a ball, adding up to 1/4 cup of the remaining flour, if necessary.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces; roll each into 3/4-inch diameter rope. Cut each rope diagonally into 3/4-inch pieces.
- In large pot of boiling water, cook gnocchi in 2 batches, stirring gently, until floating, about 4 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to large shallow bowl and toss gently with olive oil.
- Arrabbiata Sauce: Meanwhile, in large nonstick skillet, brown meat over medium-high heat, breaking up with spoon, until cooked through. Drain off fat. Season meat with salt and pepper. Stir in pasta sauce, beef stock and pesto; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Gently fold in gnocchi; heat through, 2 to 3 minutes. Spoon gnocchi and sauce into shallow bowls; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.