This is the type of recipe you may expect to see with salmon, yet is exceptional with hake. Its mild flavour really lets the savoury garlic-miso glaze shine through. This dish is perfect for enjoying in summer served alongside this crisp and refreshing cucumber salad. Garnish with sliced green onions, if desired.
- 4–113 g portions high liner culinary cape hake fillets IQF (product #5946), thawed
- 89 ml liquid honey (about 6 tbsp)
- 59 ml soy sauce (about 1/4 cup)
- 1–1/2 Tsp (7 ml) finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 Tsp (5 ml) miso paste
- 3 Clove garlic, pressed
- 1 Tsp (5 ml) peanut oil
Japanese cucumber salad:
- 3 Mini cucumbers
- 1 Small bird’s eye chili, sliced
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) black and white sesame seeds
- 1 Tsp (5 ml) granulated sugar
- 1/2 Tsp (2 ml) salt
- In a non-metallic bowl, whisk honey, soy sauce, ginger, miso and garlic. Add High Liner Culinary cape hake fillets IQF, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Pour off marinade into a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced by half. Set aside.
- Heat peanut oil in a heavy skillet until pan is very hot; sear top side of hake fillets to create a crust, about 1 minute. Immediately transfer fish, crisp side up, to a parchment paper-lined rimmed baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350°f (180°c) oven for 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- In a bowl, toss cucumber, chili, vinegar, sesame seeds, sugar and salt; mound salad on four plates. Serve hake on top and drizzle with reduced sauce.