This creative breakfast entrée features over-easy eggs nestled in crisp onion rings with a well-seasoned twist on traditional hash browns. Serve as is, pair with sausages or bacon, or top grilled strip loin steak with an onion ring-wrapped fried egg for brunch or dinner. Go with either one or two eggs per order along with some of the seasoned hash — this recipe makes enough hash browns for four servings. Onion rings can be baked ahead of time then popped into the skillet for finishing to order with fried eggs.
- 4 Cavendish Farms® 1/2″ Tempura Battered Onion Rings (select medium-to-large size rings)
- ¼ cup (50 mL) butter
- 6 cups (1.5 L) Cavendish Farms® Small Diced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Cajun spice blend
- ½ tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) garlic powder
- 4 large eggs
- Place onion rings in single layer on nonstick baking sheet. Bake in preheated 400°F (200°C) oven, turning once, until golden and crisp, 14 to 16 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt half of the butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add potatoes and cook, stirring and turning occasionally, until golden brown and crisp, 10 to 12 minutes. Season with Cajun spice blend, salt, pepper and garlic powder; set aside and keep warm.
- Melt remaining butter in another large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place onion rings in single layer in skillet; crack an egg into each of the rings. Cook, turning once, until desired doneness of egg, 4 to 6 minutes. Serve with seasoned hash browns.