- 2 lbs skirt steak, trimmed of excess fat
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp cooking oil
- 2 cups loosely packed shredded lettuce
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp finely minced cilantro
- 1–2 avocado, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- 8 flour or corn tortillas
- Season the skirt steak with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat a skillet or grill pan over high heat. When hot, swirl in the cooking oil. Add the skirt steak to the pan and sear for 2-3 minutes each side. If the skirt steak is very thin (about 1/2 inch thick), it should be medium-rare at this point. If the skirt steak is thicker, turn the heat to medium and cover to cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Let the meat rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Slice the skirt steak across the grain into very thin ribbons.
- Assemble tacos by layering steak, lettuce, diced tomatoes, cilantro and avocado slices. Top with cheese and serve with lime wedges.